ACGME-Accredited EMS Fellowship
The BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM) at the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics seeks qualified residency-trained applicants for its EMS fellowship with a start date of July 1, 2023. The fellowship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
During this one-year opportunity, the fellow will interface with EMS and disaster medicine leaders while engaging with a variety of local EMS systems in south central Wisconsin. At the completion of the fellowship, the fellow will be fully prepared to sit for the ABEM EMS board certification exam and provide exceptional medical direction to prehospital emergency care agencies with advanced competencies in EMS operations, administration, and clinical care.
Highlights of the fellowship:
- Access to the UW ALS Consortium network consisting of 6 EMS agencies with >200 prehospital providers
- On-scene medical direction and patient care resources
- Two physician response and outreach vehicles staffed 24/7
- Tactical EMS exposure
- Physician staffed helicopter EMS opportunities
- Robust curriculum, teaching, and simulation training
- 140+ hours of educational didactics
- Support to attend the NAEMSP Annual Meeting and Medical Directors course, as well as courses through the Center for Domestic Preparedness
- 60+ teaching hours with paramedics and EMS providers
- Develop and implement complex field simulations and quality improvement and process development initiatives, including in-situ simulation
- Provide educational content at resident didactic conferences
- Opportunity to utilize a state-of-the-art simulation training ambulance
- Expert faculty physician mentorship
- Cohort of 7 EMS & Med Flight faculty
- Dedicated EMS quality and patient safety clinical care groups
- Representation at local, regional, and state-level EMS leadership committees
- Participation in large scale mass casualty incident (MCI) training events
- Protected non-clinical time for the fellowship curriculum with an average of 6 shifts per month
- Opportunity to develop a research project with support from expert research faculty at DEM, which is ranked among the top academic departments of emergency medicine for NIH research funding
The fellow will be compensated at the PG 4 annual stipend rate established by the Graduate Medical Education Office at UW Health. The fellow will also receive additional CME funds to complete their emergency medicine board certification, attend conferences, and enhance their educational experience based upon their specific interests.
We are located in Madison, Wisconsin, the state’s capital isthmus city between the two largest of five sparkling lakes boasting beautiful scenery and plentiful outdoor adventure year-round, as well as vibrant arts, culinary, and education hubs. Madison was recently declared the “Best Place to Live in America” by Livability and is a dynamic, affordable place to live and work for both families and young professionals. Learn more about what you can do, see, experience, and love in Madison here
How to Apply
for application instructions. For application questions, please contact the EMS Fellowship Program Coordinator: Megan Childers, MHA, [email protected]
Applications are due by September 15, 2022.