NAEMSP® is committed to developing and nurturing the next generation of clinical quality and patient safety leaders in the EMS community. The NAEMSP® Year-Long Quality Improvement and Safety Course provides EMS physicians and quality improvement leaders with the knowledge and skills necessary to lead quality improvement and patient safety initiatives in their region, system or agency. Participants will develop an in-depth understanding of how to apply tools and strategies of quality improvement to their local needs to affect the care of patients.
This is the 6th annual Quality Improvement and Safety Course offered by NAEMSP®. The program will take participants on a journey to improve the quality of care and safety in their system through a multi-modal approach.
- Monthly Moderated 90-minute Online Sessions: These sessions will be led by expert faculty and program participants to discuss key aspects of quality improvement. Articles and readings will be assigned to facilitate discussion.
- Capstone Project Development and Mentorship: Participants will choose a project that will implement quality improvement methods to a problem in their agency or system. Each participant or team will be assigned a faculty member to help guide their progress. Each student will get an account with the Simple QI® cloud-based application to foster project progress, data-tracking and collaboration.
Participants should expect to accomplish specific quality improvement goals:
- Analyze current environment to identify quality/safety problems
- Develop measurement tools
- Create strategies for change of practice
- Implement a program of change.
Monthly topics will include:
- Identifying changes that need to be made and why
- Setting a project aim
- Developing measurement strategies
- Understanding variation and tracking progress
- Leading change
- Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA)
- Presentation & publication of improvement science
Commitment and Expectation
- Attend and participate in monthly conference calls/synchronous learning sessions.
- Meet and work with your faculty mentor.
- Complete capstone project and poster which may be submitted to teh NAEMSP Annual Meeting.
Highly encouraged for admission: Two-day NAEMSP online or in-person Quality and Safety Course or other similar course
The faculty consists of leaders in EMS quality improvement from across the country.
Maia Dorsett, MD, PhD, FAEMS*
Nicola Little, Paramedic, FAEMS*
Rick Allgood, Paramedic
Stephanie Ashford, Paramedic, FAEMS
Christopher Berry, MD
Brooke Burton, Paramedic, FACPE
Scott Bourn, PhD, RN, Paramedic
Brad Cramer, Paramedic
Remle Crowe, PhD, NREMT, FAEMS
Gabe Gan, MPH, NRP
Joseph Grover, MD, FAEMS
Josh Kimbrell, Paramedic
Ian Medoro, MD
Michael Redlener, MD, FAEMS
Robert Rosenbaum, MD, FAEMS
Zachary Potts, Paramedic
Jake Shores, Paramedic
Michael Taigman, Improvement Guide
Bryan Wilson, MD, Paramedic, FAAEM, FAEMS
William Leggio, EdD, NRP
Applications for the September 2023 – June 2024 course are closed.
Online sessions take place the fourth Wednesday of the month (with the exception of major holiday weeks).